See Bournemouth  Interactive Google Map of Bournemouth
Home  Hotels  History  Index  Contact  Links 

Tyneham (M.O.D. Ghost Village)

Tyneham
Lulworth
Dorset
United Kingdom

Category: Attraction

link: http://tyneham.org.uk/


Tyneham is a ghost village in south Dorset, England, near Lulworth on the Isle of Purbeck. It remains a civil parish. The village is situated near Worbarrow Bay on the Jurassic Coast and there have been fishing communities associated with the parish since the Iron Age. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Tigeham, meaning "goat enclosure". It is part of the Lulworth Estate.

The village and 7,500 acres (30 kmĀ²) of surrounding heathland and chalk downland around the Purbeck Hills, were commandeered just before Christmas 1943 by the then War Office (now Ministry of Defence) for use as firing ranges for training troops. 252 people were displaced, the last person leaving a notice on the church door:

"Please treat the church and houses with care; we have given up our homes where many of us lived for generations to help win the war to keep men free. We shall return one day and thank you for treating the village kindly."

This measure was supposed to be temporary for the duration of World War II, but in 1948 the Army placed a compulsory purchase order on the land and it has remained in use for military training ever since. Though littered with scrap used as targets, and subject to regular shelling, the land has become a haven for wildlife as it has been free from farming and development. In 1975, after complaints from tourists and locals, the Ministry of Defence began opening the village and footpaths across the ranges at weekends and throughout August. Many of the village buildings have fallen into disrepair or have been damaged by shelling and in 1967 the then Ministry of Works pulled down the Elizabethan manor house, though the church remains intact, and has a very fine stained-glass window by the late Martin Travers. The church and school house have since been preserved as museums.

In the 1980s the village was used for the filming of Comrades, which tells the story of the Tolpuddle Martyrs. The church had a fibreglass tower and large additional gravestones added and the village's Post Office Row was fronted with fibreglass cottages.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyneham




Local Map


Full Page Interactive Map

Embed

Embed this map into your website or blog by copying and pasting the code below

<iframe src="http://www.seebournemouth.com/cfm.htm?id=1049&x=-2.168716&y=50.622880&z=16" style="width:1000px;height:600px;padding:0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Copyright (c) Map Channels 2006 - 2015